Yesterday afternoon the military division had the privilage of going to listen to Marcus Luttrell, a Navy SEAL who fought in Afgahanastan in 2005. His story is a miracle...enough said. He was part of Operation Redwing and was the only member of his team and the backup team to make it out alive...and honestly he shouldn't even be alive.
While listening to him, I just kept thinking--"he is making this up. He has to be..." Well, I'm not going to tell his whole story because he alaready has and I encourage you all to read his book (or just google him and read the very brief story it provides) if you want to see first hand what these men and women of the Armed Forces are doing to protect us.
A couple things I was thinking about yesterday while listening to Marcus Lutrell:
- MY FREEDOM (yes I cried again in the National Anthem but how could you not being in a room full of people who have served our country)
- How lucky I am to work in the Military Division
- My understanding now of the military versus when I first started working for the Military Division
- My students-most are active duty right now and often will get deployed for a year or so and I may never here from them again...what is their story?
- God's love
- My faith
- My trials-they seem so small after hearing something like this. He was to the point where he was actually trying to break his neck by falling off a cliff so he would die. (He did break his neck but it didn't kill him)
- Military Spouses and sacrifces they make
- My Father-in-Law, his brother and Grandpa Moore and their service & experiences
- The War (and why we can't just let our Military fight the war how they were trained...why does it have to be so political?)
So that was more than a couple and the list can go on and on...but it was a very...what do I call it...amazing doesn't do it justice. It was an experience I wish everyone could have so they would be able to understand the sacrifces just a little bit more.
Thank you to all our Military Men and Women who have served and are serving and will serve! I have my freedoms because of you! Truely American Heros!
**Side note. The team's mission was to kill or capture Ahmad Shah, a powerful Taliban leader...well a SEAL team finally got him 3 days ago. ***



2 comments:
Cool post. It really made me realize how much I really want to catch up with you. There is so much that I have missed out on and don't know about you since...like a million years ago when we met for lunch. I miss ya!! love ya lots!
Des
Thank You for caring.
Love Dad
Post a Comment