Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Hyperemesis what!!!????

So, I mentioned I had bad morning sickness...that was stating it lightly.
What I really have is Hyperemesis Gravidarum. Ya, that is what I thought..."Hyperemesis what?" 
Direct translation hyper meaning excessive and emesis meaning vomiting gravida meaning pregnant. So put it all together "excessive vomiting in pregnancy."(thank you Wikipedia)

So that doesn't mean very much until you realize that less than 3% of pregnant woman have this condition. For me, it meant I was throwing up every hour for days straight. Sometimes more. That is 24+ times a day. Talk about worshiping this thing...


I had to go to the hospital for IV fluids to be pushed through me since I was so dehydrated and dehydration makes everything 10x worse. I had lost over 10 lbs...and still couldn't keep anything in or down or whatever. I was given some new medication to try and then of course
knowing my body...it didn't work. So I tried a different kind. and a different kind. after 3 kinds and still not able to go to work--my doctor combined meds...so now I'm on a cocktail of meds. 
Still sick but at least I can get out of bed. 

Doctor S. says that hopefully by the end of the month I should be feeling great and enjoying the second trimester! 
We are sure hoping!

9 comments:

Laura said...

Ohmygoodness!! Those twins are starting your life as a mommy off with a bang, aren't they!

So, so, SO sorry for your sickness...but so, so, SO happy for the coming babies. Hooray!!

Beth said...

Good luck and hope you get over the morning sickness. Its not fun. But its a good sign, it means everything is going great inside with the babies.

The Whipples said...

Sorry to hear that. A lady in our ward has that too. She is prego right now for the second time around and all of us in the ward help out watching her little boy. I'm sorry it's so yucky right now and hope it gets better fast. At least you are prego so be thankful for that (ii know you are). Can't wait to hear what you're having so I can send you a little something. When are you due ?

Rachael said...

You POOR thing!! Good thing you are tough ;) Those two special babies are worth it, but how hard for you. Keep up the good work of being the best mom ever for those little ones. Miss you! ps....we are moving to Henderson, NV (right outside Vegas) so I am thinking to host the next roomie reunion as it will be closer to you and Lyds and not too far for Rach.

Jason, Amanda, Brayden and Dillon said...

I hope you didn't get any vomit on the gold toilet seat, that'd be a shame........ :)

See you in 4 days!!!!!

Ashlie said...

I know exactly what hyperemesis gravidarum is ;) Good luck, Grease! What are the meds? (Can't help it!)

Ashley said...

Oh Kris, I FEEL for you girl! This is the EXACT reason I dread pregnancy #2 - the forever long nausea/sickness/disgusting flu for what feels like forever.

But here's the thing. Your BabIES will be fabulous sleepers, and have amazing dispostitions.

Right?? Right!! Because heaven knows if you have rough pregnancies, you DESERVE some sort of break. ;) Hang in there girl - I swear it's all worth it. But you already know that I"m sure ;)

Ashley said...

PS- SERIOUSLY so sorry you're going through this. You're my hero!

Jessica said...

Oh no! That is seriously a bummer. I am sorry to hear that--a good friend (when we lived in Michigan) had it her whole pregnancy--it really wore the poor girl out. I always made sure to come and visit her--so if you were close by, I would help out wherever I could. Please make sure you always accept any help that comes your way. You've got an important job you are working on, so let other people help!

Take one day at a time. As the advice was given to Eve: "in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children" so too will you experience this so-called sorrow. Just get through the day, and realize that there is great LIGHT at the end of the tunnel! I promise--and every minute will be worth it in the end.