Saturday, April 23, 2011

Some days you just can't plan

So...I'm not one of those bloggers that loves to write and write and write...I like pictures. But unfortunately...pictures will probably be sparse for the next several weeks and months. This is our story though and we want to keep record of everything and keep our family updated on everything.

We'll start off with Wednesday (April 20) I had my ultra sound at Phoenix Perinatal Associates...26.5 weeks. The main reason for the u/s was to double check Baby B and his heart. He is our "active" child as we call him and doesn't like to hold still for more than a second so the last u/s they were unable to see his 4 chambers, blood flow and actually...not a whole lot. I think we only got a profile of him. LOL

Everything is great. I was told "You grow big boys" Baby A is 2lbs 5oz and Baby B is 2lbs 7oz. Very healthy and practically perfect. :-)

Then...the sonographer says "I'll be right back. I need to get the Dr's opinion on something."

Oh great. What is going on? I was just told babies are perfect and big.

Dr. Wolfson comes in. "Well, I'm trying to get a hold of your OB to see what plan of action he would like to take."

Come to find out my cervix has now shortened significantly (just a week ago I had a very long sturdy cervix) and I had substantial thinning and Dr W. was very concerned.

I was told to go to the hospital for monitoring and steroid shot.

Check in to triage...finally hooked up to monitors (after 1.5 hrs of trying to get both babies on monitors at the same time) Contractions are present but I have no idea I'm having them. Outside of cervix is open but inside is closed (soft but closed). Sent home after 4 hrs of monitoring and getting my first steroid shot to help the boys' lungs develop faster just in case.

Thursday (April 21) Dr appt with Dr. S. Check again--outside still open, inside now dilated to almost a 2. Dr S. is a very down to earth Dr. I absolutely love him. He tries to make sure to not get me more nervous than I am but is very realistic. I'm viable. The babies have a great chance of surviving if born...but we need them to stay in longer.

Bed rest is prescribed. Only do what I absolutely have to.

Back to hospital for 2nd steroid shot and more monitoring.

Contractions are still happening--still don't know what is going on. Cervix hasn't opened anymore in the 2 hrs since Dr appt. But given 2 Terbutaline shots to see if contractions can calm down a little bit. Released 3 hrs later. Follow up on Monday with Dr. S again to hopefully see everything has calmed down.

So...my amazing sister came down yesterday since she only had to work 1/2 day at work and cleaned my kitchen and did some grocery shopping for us. I am so lucky to have her somewhat close by. She has helped so much already.

I couldn't have asked for a better husband. Marsh is amazing and has been since day 1 and for the past 6 1/2 months of me being sick. He does the laundry, dishes and helps pick up basic stuff ...not to mention making me food-grabbing all sorts of random stuff I need. He is the best!!! Thank you husband!!!

3 comments:

Stephanie C. said...

Oh man. I'm so sorry! We'll be praying for you! Please let me know if you need/want anything! Or if you ever want to hang out. I'm sure you might get bored being home all of the time and you might want visitors. I'm excited for your baby shower though! Hopefully you'll be able to go!

Ashley said...

Yea for marsh being super husband and having your sis so close! But sorry for all the craziness going on!! I'm so glad your little boys are viable and staying inside so far!!! You deserve a medal for all that you've been through just this far!!!!! I'm keeping y'all in my prayers!!

Love ya!!

The Whipples said...

Thinking about you . I guess I better get your package sent soon just in case. Our prayers are with your little fam. Hope the boys listen to their mommy and stay put!