Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Our story....(long reading sorry)

So I'm sitting here trying to read a book and baby A keeps pushing my book off my belly....
So then I sat here just laughing out loud to myself (and the boys) watching my belly move one way then the other....such a funny feeling and sight. 
It has been hard to laugh (unless my sister is here) at the situation and where I am at. This pregnancy has been SOOOO hard. one thing after the other. I really do not like being pregnant

But I really am so grateful for these little miracles that are soon going to be part of our family.
Last week was National Infertility Awareness Week. 
I was going to post something, maybe our story, but then things kept coming up...more time in the hospital, more terb shots etc. Just never got around to it. 

Infertility can be such a sensitive subject...it is emotionally draining...so hard. And people just don't think before making stupid comments or advice. Seriously?! Did you really just tell me that? Support groups are hard to find--especially within the church...

Baby A and Baby B are our little miracles!!!

So our story...(kind of long...sorry) 
3 years of dealing with fertility treatments, negative pregnancy test after negative pregnancy test...
I'll admit--there were times I didn't feel I had a testimony anymore--I had to lean on Marsh so much during those 3 years. 
I remember crying all night sometimes. 

My fertility specialists were amazing though--Dr L always seemed to help me keep my hopes up but at the same time be realistic with my condition. (My condition that I found out I had one year before getting married...I was told pregnancy would be hard if not impossible to achieve. I thought I was prepared for 
all the treatments and options) Not even close. 

So...after failed procedure time and time again...we decided I would have surgery that was desperately needed and we would stop all treatments and go the adoption route. IVF (in vitro fertilization) was going to be a lot of money...

We had all of our paperwork filled out and ready to go...we were signed up to start our classes and that is where it all stayed. Things kept coming up...and slowly--I started to question if we had made the right decision.

Back to prayers and fasting...I was so confused...we were both okay with adoption and actually both felt (before even knowing each other) that adoption would be a route we went.

I finally told Marsh that we needed to schedule our IVF and just exhaust all of our options for fertility before we went adoption route. I didn't know why though and to be honest...I was scared to death to go that route and go through all the emotional stress and drama all over again. 

So we called up Dr L and got our appt scheduled. Soon all the meds were sitting at my door...

My own little pharmacy! 

These were the 3 main injections I had on a regular basis.

I got so tired of sticking myself! Human pincushion is the closest thing I can describe it as. 
Our baby (babies) would be started in this little dish...so weird to think about.
We decided that if we were going to do the IVF route we would also do the ICSI (Intra Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection) process. We didn't want to risk anything and my Dr really felt there was something wrong with the barrier on my eggs, so this process would make sure that the best chance of fertilization could happen. 

6 days after the procedure I started feeling weird and one morning I woke up looking like I was 5 months pregnant. I couldn't breathe. I waited several days to see if I was just being crazy or if I really was overstimulating. I finally went in to see what was going on. Sure enough--I my ovaries were 5 and 6 times the size they should be (even now one of them is still 3x the size it should be)
I had significant water in my abdomen. Blood was drawn even though it was 3 days early to be tested but my dr really felt this was a good thing. 

Finally good news! I was pregnant!! Two days later another blood draw just to make sure...
Still pregnant!
The next week. Ultrasound to check sac and all of that (3 weeks after procedure). Just one baby.
Two weeks later, ended up in ER because I was in so much pain. I was for sure I had a cyst rupture. I was in tears and starting to go into shock so I called my mom while I was lying on the bathroom floor in pain. Mom's are so amazing--even when they are almost 1k miles away.
ER kept asking me how many babies I was having...only 1. Finally the u/s tech asked me again and then said "I think you should see this" Two heartbeats!!! I started to cry! Marsh felt all along there were two but Dr kept saying one.


So...here we are...trial after trial with this pregnancy and as much as I hate being pregnant I am so grateful for modern technology and medicine that has allowed us this chance to start our family. I couldn't have asked for a better support and husband than Marsh...he was there for me and was strong enough for both us when I didn't have the strength or testimony. He was there at 2 in the morning when I couldn't stop crying or couldn't stop throwing up or whatever was going on. 

10 comments:

Sara said...

Oh Krissy - I had no idea. Your post made me cry...Then again, I cry more than normal at 9 months pregnant :) Tell me again when your little boys are due. We aren't that far apart! I'm so happy for you and Marsh.

The Whipples said...

Wow!! You are so much stronger than me!! We havent had it hard anywhere close to you and I crumbled. You're an inspiration to us all. I hope things stay ok and your little ones stay put for a little longer. You guys are in our prayers.

Jami said...

Krissy: I had no idea that you and Marsh have been through so much. Thanks for sharing your story. You are a strong woman. Cannot wait to meet your little boys!

Anonymous said...

Krissy- We are so thrilled for you and Marsh. I had no idea all of this was going on. Truely if I have ever said anything thing stupid to make you feel bad I am so sorry! I love you and grateful to be your sister in law. You are amazing! Thanks for sharing your feelings. It was great to see into your heart.

Beth said...

WOW. You are a remarkable woman and don't forget it. Its hard knowing where you want to be (having kids) and having to endure a long, hard struggle to get there. Can’t wait to see pictures of those little guys, but not before your due date. I can wait, so tell them to wait too.

The Butcher Family said...

I feel your pain! I have been blessed with easy pregancies at least but I'm so happy for you! Heavenly Father only knows how grateful you'll be for these sweet boys! I think you were totally normal in your feelings because I went through the same thing! I'm so happy things have "worked out" (even though it has been hard for you). Hang in there and keep cooking those boys!

Becky said...

You are seriously an inspiration to me. I keep having the thought, "If Krissy can do this being sick the whole time with twins, then I can do it and quit complaining." Easier said than done but I'm so thankful to read all of your posts and gain strength to keep going and to hang in there.

Jessica said...

Thanks for sharing, Krissy--a story that is sensitive but full of such meaning,faith, AND inspiration. I bet you will look back at your experience with gratitude because during the whole process, you grew a ton. You may never know how many lives you will bless when you share your story... thanks for blessing mine.

Becki R said...

I have been wanting to read your whole story but never have enough time. Now I am sitting here on my lunch break crying! You are so awesome Krissy--I hope you know that! You are going to be an amazing mother!

Kari Badell said...

What a miracle! I can't imagine going through that for 3 years and still having the courage to decide to exhaust all of your fertility options before adopting. I can see that you have definitely been blessed. Isn't it so wonderful and amazing to have such a faithful husband who can hold you up and give you strength!? We are so happy for you guys! We will keep you in our prayers that you can continue to hit those milestones.