So today I found out that one of my dear co-workers and friend has cancer. She is 33 yrs old and has been given way too many trials for someone her age. Just to name one-last year she was called from work b/c they found her baby not breathing at the babysitters. To make a long story short, ended up that Little Nicholas had Shaken Baby Syndrome. They found
NyQuil in his blood stream and obviously pretty massive brain damage. He is recovering and has already done so many things the Dr's said he would never be able to do but still, life changing experience b/c of someone
else's choices. But I have never once heard her say..."why me?" "I don't deserve this" or "I have so much on my plate already" She is always up beat, laughing, and trying to find the best of every situation. Even with the news of cancer today...she told me "Well, I knew I needed to start eating healthier and wanted to go on a diet...this is the ticket...it is just going to be a forced diet!" (and then she got mad at me for making her laugh b/c of her surgery...I wasn't even the one to make her laugh!!)
Anyway-as I've been talking to her daily while she is in the hospital, I have learned a couple of valuable lessons I hope to never forget. 1)I have absolutely no reason to complain about anything! My life is hard but who's isn't. I'm alive and well!!! 2)I need to not take my life for
granted. I need to do those things I keep putting off until tomorrow--there may not be a tomorrow and 3) I need to be more willing and open about sharing the gospel to those around me and to those I love. I have so much knowledge and help that many don't have but are searching for. I need to be a better missionary.
This picture was taken in February of this year when Elizabeth, Shannon (my sister) and me did the climb for cancer. Pretty ironic huh? A new tradition that is for sure!
4 comments:
oh man, thats hard. she has got to be so grateful to have a friend like you. You are a special one too- always uplifting and happy to be around. She is lucky :) You make people around you appreciate life to the fullest too.
Thanks for sharing this. It's always so good to have reminders of how good we really have it.
Thanks for sharing this. It's always so good to have reminders of how good we really have it.
Aw, that sucks! I'm sorry :( You guys should come up here for the Relay for Life (another annual cancer fundraiser). It was just this past friday for our area up here. It was so much fun! The little lake and everything that the track is around is pretty cool. I would love to have you up here anytime!
Post a Comment